A complete application consists of—
- A cover page.
- Responses to the three application sections (not to exceed 5,000 words total or 10 pages, single spaced).
- OPTIONAL: Supplemental materials to provide additional support for the information in your application (not to exceed 5 pages; must be submitted either as 5 separate PDF files totaling 1 page each OR 1 PDF file totaling 5 pages).
To begin an online award application, you will need your AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org username and password. Need to create an AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org user account? Click here to learn more.
By joining AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org, you will have real-time access to other registered programs and their best practices; cutting-edge internet tools to facilitate collaboration, problem solving and learning between leaders of asthma programs; and the most current strategies for making your program a thriving and comprehensive asthma management resource. Take advantage of these membership benefits:
- Learn from and network with asthma programs nationwide, including previous award winners.
- Access successful asthma management strategies in the Asthma Change Package.
- Highlight your program’s activities with your own program profile page.
- Post and find local, regional and national events.
- Connect with peers on the discussion forum and blog.
Please contact EPALeadershipAwards@AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org if you have any questions about this login process, online application or AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
The Network is offered at no cost and open to all community-based programs committed to helping people with asthma live the healthy and active lives they deserve.
Key Features of the Online Application:
- Complete the application in multiple sittings. The online system allows you to partially complete the application, save it and return to it later.
- To allow for proper formatting of your text, please copy and paste unformatted text from a “text only” file (.txt) or copy and paste your text from Word into a program like “Notepad” and then copy and paste this into the appropriate application text boxes. To format (bold, italics, bullets, etc.), please use the tools provided above the text boxes in the online applications. Remember that you can always save your application and come back to it later.
- Preview, print or save your application at any time.
- Attach supplemental materials as either five separate PDF files totaling one page each OR one PDF file totaling five (5) pages.
- Please contact your IT administrator to adjust your firewall settings to ensure a successful application submission.
- The online system is a secure website operated for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by its contractor, The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc. Your completed application will be seen only by EPA staff, EPA’s contractor and members of the award evaluation panel.
- Application Checklist
- Past award-winner descriptions in the Hall of Fame and program profiles on AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
- The Asthma Change Package, which presents a guide for achieving breakthrough improvements in community asthma care, including the key drivers of program effectiveness.
- National Institutes of Health's (NIH's) Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
In the application, tell the best story you can about your comprehensive asthma management program. Your story must address the following three sections outlined in the Application Guidelines and Evaluation Criteria:
- Comprehensive Asthma Management.
- Getting Results—Evaluation
Applications will be reviewed by a panel composed of federal and non-federal representatives with expertise in asthma care, health care policy, quality of care and economics. In making award decisions, the panel will use the Evaluation Criteria. Carefully consider the evaluation criteria that the review panel will use to evaluate your application, and where possible, reference the criterion that a specific section of your story addresses. Include features of your program that are unique, innovative or creative or that otherwise distinguish your program from others. You may receive bonus points for distinguishing program features. Examples of distinguishing program features are included in the evaluation criteria.
To help the review panel recognize the elements that you think most contribute to your program’s success, call attention to key themes, critical moments, and turning points by including particularly powerful quotes from program staff or people with asthma, emphasizing key terms, or using headings in your text to call attention to specific information. Remember to demonstrate not only what you did, but how you did it and the effect of your actions.