Suncoast Pediatric Asthma Coalition
The mission of the Suncoast Pediatric Asthma Coalition is to improve the quality of life for children and adolescents with asthma.
The Suncoast Pediatric Asthma Coalition has been in existence since 2001. The coalition was created to help support and educate the Tampa Bay community. In 2002, the coalition created and hosted the first annual “Asthma Family Day” – an educational event provided free for the Tampa Bay Community. Asthma Family Day has been such a success, that it has continued each year since. Asthma Day brings together a local group of experts – doctors, nurses, environmental specialists and parents, each teaching their specialty of knowledge to educate the community about pediatric asthma. Every year new
topics are encouraged, examples of presentation topics: Asthma 101, Managing Asthma In School, Red Tide, Allergies and Asthma, Sports and Asthma, Environmental Awareness, Asthma Plans, Medications, HFA Inhalers and Spacers. In addition to Asthma Family Day, the coalition members:
• Speak at events in the community – from schools to local and national medical conferences
• Support the local media by providing interviews to newspaper, radio and television groups requesting information
• Community Outreach by participating in local health fairs, etc.
• Create a quarterly newsletter that is distributed throughout the community
• Are establishing an online presence by setting up a Facebook page, utilizing blogs and discussion boards
The Suncoast Pediatric Asthma Coalition''s primary sponsor is All Children’s Hospital, yet we also have much appreciated support and funding from various community partners such as the Health Department, American Lung Association, Tobacco Free Coalition, University of South Florida and local businesses.